Proveer at Northgate is your guide to downsizing a lifetime of accumulated belongings.
Proveer at Northgate is a residential senior living community in North Houston, TX. From our years of experience, we can offer recommendations on the downsizing process.
How do I downsize for a senior apartment?
Downsizing can be an overwhelming process. When you are staring at an entire house full of memories, it can be difficult to know where to begin.
- Start early – As we said already, this is a big undertaking. Starting this process before it comes time to move will allow you to productively work through the items and emotions.
- Start small – These belongings didn’t accumulate overnight, and you can’t expect them to disappear overnight either. If you take a little time each day to tackle the workload, it will be manageable in no time.
- Gift or donate items of value – If you have special family heirlooms or a priceless art collection, this is the time to gift those items to family members or donate them to non-profit foundations that can make better use of them.
- Be realistic – Let’s be honest. When you move into a senior apartment, you probably won’t need all of your jewelry, your entire collection of formalwear, or your entire collection of chachkies. Nor will you have the necessary space for storing them. Take just a few of your favorite items and pass on the rest to someone who might love them as much as you do.
- Keep photos and special mementos – Photos and small sentimental items are easy to store in miniature decorative boxes or beautiful albums.
- Ask for help – You don’t have to do all the work yourself. Enlist the help of friends and family to lighten the load.
Why should seniors downsize?
Seniors have different needs than other age groups, and their environment should reflect that. When they are in the correct living space, seniors are supported to live with purpose and fulfillment.
|Your loved one’s struggle||How Proveer at Northgate offers a solution|
|Family homes are often too large for one person. They may have rooms or entire floors that no one ever visits, and the dust just accumulates on all the surfaces.||Our senior living apartments are the right size for your loved one. With studio apartments ranging from 200 to 300+ square feet, there is no unnecessary space. And best of all, dust won’t collect because we have a weekly housekeeping service that keeps everything clean and tidy.|
|And speaking of family homes, they are not designed for seniors. Many feature a second story that has become dangerous to access via stairs. And bathtubs can be a slip-and-fall waiting to happen.||Each apartment has its own bathroom that was designed with seniors in mind. Our bathrooms are large enough to access via wheelchair and feature walk-in showers and grab bars for stability.|
|Your loved one may be having difficulty with basic self-care tasks. As seniors age, they can struggle with bathing, dressing, and grooming, often looking disheveled and unkempt.||As part of our basic care, Proveer at Northgate helps seniors remain as independent as possible while providing support for these activities of daily living.|
|Everyone experiences memory loss as they age, but if it is interfering with their well-being, it might be more serious. They may routinely forget to take prescribed medications or even to eat.||Proveer at Northgate’s memory care has specialized associates on site around the clock. We monitor your loved one’s heath to ensure that their basic needs are being met. We offer three nutritious, brain-healthy meals plus snacks and beverages every day as well as physical and mental exercises that may slow the decline in cognitive function.|
|You may notice that your loved one is often confused about time and location, even in familiar places, and you are concerned that they may one day wander away from home.||Proveer at Northgate is a secure community that provides extra supervision to ensure the safety of your loved one. Our specially-trained associates are prepared to assist when the confusion sets in.|
|If you notice that your loved one seems isolated, is avoiding social interaction, or has difficulty communicating, this may be another sign that it is time to consider memory care.||With Proveer at Northgate, we implement Cherish, a specialized dementia care program that is a blend of physical, mental, and social activities to keep memory care residents active, engaged, and thriving.|
These are not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. If you believe that your loved one may need memory care, please contact your doctor.
What do I need for my apartment with Proveer at Northgate?
Our apartments are unfurnished, providing a blank slate to decorate with your loved one’s personal aesthetic.
- Furniture and decorative personal items, like pillows, sheets and blankets, or stuffed animals
- Clothing for various seasons and occasions
- Outerwear for various seasons
- Comfortable shoes with non-slip soles
- Pajamas, robe, and slippers
- Wallet or purse
- Eyeglasses and/or hearing aids
- Wheelchair, cane, or walker
- Electronics and chargers
- Hobby supplies
- Framed photos
We also have something unique and special for our memory care residents with Proveer at Northgate. Each senior gets a digital shadow box for their memories, so it’s important to bring digital images of family members and friends as well as memorable events. This encourages residents to exercise their memories through reminiscing and also serves as a conversation starter for socializing.
We are here to help.
Preparing to move into a senior living community is a big task, but it’s not impossible. We are here to offer guidance and support to help you through this process.
Are you looking for a senior living apartment for your loved one in the Houston, TX, area? Contact us today to schedule a tour.