Houston, Texas is a big city, and finding the care a loved one needs can feel overwhelming. Acting as a caretaker for someone with a form of dementia or Alzheimer’s is time-consuming, stressful, and emotional. Finding relief shouldn’t be such a challenge.
The Family Caregiver Alliance reports family members of people with dementia spend 13 hours per month researching resources and memory care programs. That’s on top of the 1.5 billion hours of unpaid care family caregivers provide in Texas alone.
Proveer at Northgate would like to give you some time-saving tactics in your search to get mom or dad the care they need. Learn what questions to ask about memory care in Houston, TX so you can enjoy peace of mind. To save you even more time, we’ll answer many of those questions right now.
Do I need to tour a memory care community?
Touring a community for memory care, Houston families find, is their chance to ask tough questions and interview them.
It may feel like a reversal of roles when a parent develops Alzheimer’s or another form of dementia. You’d like to return the favor of giving them the best life possible with the gift of memory care.
Houston families enjoy the peace of mind Proveer at Northgate provides because they toured the community and asked the right questions.
When you’re looking for a memory care facility in Houston, TX, the best place to start is by understanding their specific needs and priorities. Take time to identify what matters most to them:
- Do they need help with bathing, dressing, and grooming
- Are they reasonably independent but require a secure environment
- Do they need 24-hour supervision
- Do they have a high level of health care needs such as diabetes
- Do they have specific hobbies and interests the community can provide
Consulting these factors can aid in finding the perfect Alzheimer’s care that will support them and make them feel important.
What questions should you ask a Houston memory care community?
1. Who’s taking care of my mom or dad?
Since your loved one will be living in the community, you’ll likely want to know who will be caring for them.
Ask the memory care community:
- What type of training has the team completed?
- What experience do care partners have with treatments for neurocognitive conditions?
- Are medical professionals available round-the-clock?
- What is the associate-to-resident ratio?
Proveer at Northgate’s Leadership Team includes senior care nurses, memory care professionals, and decades of operations experience. They oversee a team of specially trained care partners who will assist your loved one in day-to-day activities.
2. Does the memory care community offer signature programming?
If a senior living community offers memory care services, it should have a signature brand or philosophy regarding this type of specialized care.
Ask the community:
- Do you offer personalized experiences?
- How will my loved one stay engaged?
- Do you celebrate meaningful moments in residents’ lives?
- What activities do you have to promote brain health?
- Do you prepare meals with mind-healthy ingredients?
- What therapeutic approaches do you use to care for residents?
Families who choose Proveer at Northgate for their loved ones in Houston benefit from Cherish. The foundation of Cherish is our promise to your family:
- To act kindly.
- To seek knowledge.
- To be compassionate.
- To see strengths.
By offering activities and care that are personalized, engaging, meaningful, and innovative, your loved one will experience relief and find purpose in their life to the best of their ability.
Some of our signature activities include:
3. What level of care is available in Texas memory care communities?
People often equate memory care with placing someone in a nursing home or assisted living facility. Those places can provide dementia relief, but unless your loved one has a chronic condition that requires professional medical attention, you can save thousands of dollars per month with memory care.
Ask the community:
- What do you do in the case of an emergency?
- Do you notify the family of any medical changes?
- Do you allow third-party care services?
- Do you offer rehabilitation programs?
- What level of care can my loved one expect from your memory care?
Houston has numerous nursing home facilities and assisted living services, but finding a dedicated home for memory care in Houston is rare. Proveer at Northgate is here to provide dementia care in addition to:
- Individualized service plans
- Personal care
- Activities of daily living assistance
- Medication management
4. What will my loved one do all day?
Part of caring for people living with dementia is making them feel successful and building their confidence to reduce anxiety. Keeping activities failure-free is essential to that process.
Ask the community:
- What activities do your residents enjoy?
- Do residents get to go outside?
- Do you offer alternative activities?
5. Is the cost of memory care all-inclusive?
Memory care costs can be a shock. Know where your money is going and what the price includes. Also, ask about ways to reduce the cost of memory care.
Ask the community:
- Does the cost include healthy meals and snacks?
- Is maintenance available if something in the apartment breaks?
- Does the rent include housekeeping and laundry?
- Is transportation provided for appointments and outings?
- Do you accept VA benefits?
- Do you take long-term care insurance?
The average cost of Houston memory care services in Houston is around $5,306 per month. While this may seem like a lot, understand that individuals with memory loss require specialized care beyond what is provided in assisted living facilities.
If you’re searching for Alzheimer’s and dementia care in Houston, Proveer at Northgate offers cost-effective rates and accepts long-term-care insurance and veterans aid benefits. Private and companion apartments are available to help lower the cost as well.
Proveer at Northgate is also proud to offer residents a farm-to-table dining experience and access to our partner programs: Silver Sneakers and Heart to Heart Hospice, should your loved one need it in the future.
Proveer at Northgate Memory Care for Houston Families
If you’re looking for relief for your loved one living with a form of dementia, contact Proveer at Northgate to arrange a tour. Bring your list of questions, and get the answers to help your family find Peace of Mind memory care in Houston.
Houston residents can find us near the Spring Medical and Diagnostic Center.